Monday, July 21, 2014

Razliubit by Renata S.C.

Razliubit by Renata S.C. 



Author: Renata S.C.
Publisher: Rynata Collective
Publish Date: April 30th 2014 
Page Amount: 83 Pages (79 pages of Poetry)
Price: $12.00 Paperback
ISBN: 1620309750 (ISBN13: 9781620309759)

"Razliubit is a story about the bittersweet feeling of falling out of love told through memories. This book is a collection of conversational-prose fusion poems that follow a narrative of love, loneliness and sensuality in a postmodern setting. The poems utilize poetic formal constructs to obscure and subvert factual details in each story while using evocative language and specificity to enhance the consuming effects of nostalgia. While the individual pieces each possess a voice and alternating speakers they also function as fragments of a larger story in progress" (Goodreads Description)


Let me first start off by saying that this is an ADULT book.

Maybe this took me by surprise, and that's why my rating would be low. I was expecting something different than what I read about. This is not Renata's fault, I mean, there is only so much you can convey with a Goodreads Giveaway description.

However, there was something there. I didn't necessarily like the language choice or what half of the book is about, but there is something there. Every piece of the poems are about you getting to know a character. As a writer myself, I understand that a choice of language conveys more about a person than anything else. I liked the fact that I could see who these characters are without even having an introduction, a physical description, or being knowledgeable of their past.

In terms of structure and technique, I have to give this collection three stars. There is a whole story of a person conveyed in just a few pages, a few paragraphs, or even a few lines. Renata knows how to tell a story.

The title of this collection, "Razliubit", means "falling out of love" in Russian. This is exactly what the collection of poems is about. Falling out of a love that you thought you had, but really, if it really is "love" after all. If I can get that from 79 pages of poetry, I'm sure you can get even more.

So, to sum this up: This is an ADULT book. There is language and intimate scenes, and I wish I would have known that going into my request for the novel. I know that this affected my rating, at least a little bit. Because of the content of the novel, I couldn't connect as much as I was hoping I would be able to. I'm giving this collection 3 stars, because there is something there. 

A little bit of an extra: 
The author also sent me a note, which was very sweet. It read "Poetry is not dead."

But I wanted to add to it. Not only is poetry NOT dead, but....

Poetry is very much alive.

I received this collection from a Goodreads Giveaway Promotion. 

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our blog posts! I will always try and get back to each and every single one of your comments! Please feel free to leave suggestions for new books to review, as well as comments on the individual reviews themselves. Again, thank you so much for stopping by!