Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday #1: November 18th 2015

A lot of my blogging friends participate in a feature called "Waiting on Wednesday", where they name a book that they are patiently waiting for, and maybe share a few details about it. It is a weekly feature hosted by Breaking the Spine that showcases upcoming releases!

I wanted to take a little bit of my own twist on the feature, and instead of just including a summary on the book, include some initial thoughts that I have just by reading the synopsis and looking at the cover.

Without further adieu, here is my very first Waiting On Wednesday post!

                                            Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Publish Date: January 5th 2016
Page Amount: 464 pages
Price: $17.99 Hardback
ISBN: 1484715772 (ISBN13: 9781484715772)

passage, n.
i. A brief section of music composed of a series of notes and flourishes.
ii. A journey by water; a voyage.
iii. The transition from one place to another, across space and time.


In one devastating night, violin prodigy Etta Spencer loses everything she knows and loves. Thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda, Etta is certain of only one thing: she has traveled not just miles but years from home. And she’s inherited a legacy she knows nothing about from a family whose existence she’s never heard of. Until now.

Nicholas Carter is content with his life at sea, free from the Ironwoods—a powerful family in the colonies—and the servitude he’s known at their hands. But with the arrival of an unusual passenger on his ship comes the insistent pull of the past that he can’t escape and the family that won’t let him go so easily. Now the Ironwoods are searching for a stolen object of untold value, one they believe only Etta, Nicholas’ passenger, can find. In order to protect her, he must ensure she brings it back to them— whether she wants to or not.

Together, Etta and Nicholas embark on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind by the traveler who will do anything to keep the object out of the Ironwoods’ grasp. But as they get closer to the truth of their search, and the deadly game the Ironwoods are play­ing, treacherous forces threaten to sep­arate Etta not only from Nicholas but from her path home . . . forever


Is there anything special about this book that you are looking forward to? 
I am very excited because there is NO love triangle. Zippo. Zilch. Nada. 

                                        
YES!

It's not that I don't like love triangles, but it is just that SO many Young Adult books have love triangles and I kind of want to take a break from that for a while, even if it is just for this book in particular.

Also, the synopsis hooked me in, and so did the character of Etta. I love her name, and the fact that she is a violin prodigy connects to me a little bit (I've always wanted to learn the violin, and I love music!). 

How did you hear of this book? From a Goodreads Search, Blogger Buddies, Twitter, etc.?
I've seen this book floating around Twitter. I have seen a LOT of book blogger buddies talking about this on Twitter - before and after BEA - and because the release date is coming closer,  I've only been seeing more blog posts and hype about it, so I thought I would check it out for myself. 

Have you read any of the author's works before?
No, I have not! This will be my first experience with Ms. Bracken's books, and I am very excited! I have heard great things about this one!

What do you think about the cover? What about the title?
I LOVE the cover. The colors just speak to me; the blues, greys and even some shades of green are perfect compliments of one another. I think the design is simple enough to where the reader is drawn to the title and is not too distracted by "busy" objects in the background. I also like how the city in the bottle is the only thing on the cover, and it sparked my curiosity as to what this book is about! I know you are not supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but this cover was so clean and professional looking that I had to pick it up! Have I mentioned the cover font? Gorgeous!

I don't know if you know this about me, but books with one word titles always entice me, because you know the title has to be carefully considered and that word has to have extreme importance. (All titles are carefully considered, but there is a reason that this word is chosen, which means the plot must revolve around it!) I think the title is interesting and the fact that I can already connect the title to the events in the book makes me very happy. (Although, I do love that 'ah-ha' moment when the title finally connects). From what I know about the book, I think it is a great fit!

When is the release date for this book? Do you think you can wait that long to read it? 
This book comes out on January 5th 2016. I do think that I can wait this long to read it, seeing as Winter just came out and I have to finish that before I can read anything else, and school is getting kind of busy too! Hopefully I have enough books to distract me over the holidays until this one comes out! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure this was my first waiting on wednesday pick as well! I'm so excited for this book, Alex is my favorite author ever! I already have three copies of this book preordered! Heheh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, what a coincidence! Oh, wow! Three copies is a lot (but I have four copies of the Black Widow: Forever Red book, so I understand!) I can't wait until this one comes out!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our blog posts! I will always try and get back to each and every single one of your comments! Please feel free to leave suggestions for new books to review, as well as comments on the individual reviews themselves. Again, thank you so much for stopping by!