Monday, July 14, 2014

The Last Goodbye by Caroline Finnerty

The Last Goodbye by Caroline Finnerty


22375400

Author: Caroline Finnerty
Publisher: Ward River Press
Publish Date: May 5th 2014
Page Amount: 298 Pages
Price: $11.02 to $17.79 Paperback (Depending on Edition)
"Sometimes the decisions we make can last a lifetime . . . and sometimes we cannot shake off the shackles of decisions made by others in the past. 

Kate Flynn has spent her whole life running away. She reckons the best decision she ever made was to leave Ireland the day after she finished school. Having seldom returned since, she would be perfectly happy if she never had to go back there. She is happy in London where she runs a successful photography gallery with her best friend Nat, though their relationship is going through a rocky patch since Nat began an affair with a married man.

When Kate becomes pregnant and her partner Ben persuades her to make the trip home, she is forced to confront everything she left behind and memories of Eva, the mother she feels betrayed her. Kate finds it impossible to forgive Eva who chose to refuse cancer treatment while pregnant and died, leaving a young family motherless.

Do some wounds go too deep to ever heal? Must Eva's Choice forever deny Kate real happiness?

The Last Goodbye is a powerful story of love and loss, forgiveness and new beginnings - a heart-wrenching and emotional page-turner for mothers and daughters everywhere." (Goodreads Description)


WOW.

This novel was MUCH more than I could have asked for.

The reader follows the story of Kate, a woman originally from Ireland, but who moved to London with her partner, Ben. She holds a steady job at the gallery downtown with her friend Nat, where she is constantly holding exhibitions for photographers and updating the gallery's owner, Tabitha, on the current progress and earnings of the establishment.

Along with problems with Nat and her boyfriend's relationship (and more importantly, the circumstances surrounding it), Kate is dealing with problems of her own. Kate doesn't talk to her family often, in fact, she hasn't seen them in years, and all of the constant pressure to visit from her partner, Ben, isn't doing her much good.

Kate is also pregnant, which, for her, is NOT a positive thing, connecting her to pieces of her past that she never wanted to relive.

This book was BEYOND amazing. I was in tears with almost every new page I read.


Obviously, the emotional connection was there. The story of Kate, and those around her, were written in such a way that the reader is experiencing the EXACT emotions and feelings of the characters. The emotions are raw, meaningful, and incredibly deep.


The character connection was also beyond unbelievable. I went into this book thinking that I wouldn't connect with Kate as much as I did. I really feel like she is one of my closest friends now, along with all of her other relatives that, based on earlier parts of the story, I never thought I would have a chance to meet. Even the more "villainous" characters, I saw myself understanding their actions more and more as the story went on. These people were not villainous, but their actions were misinterpreted and the wrong choice made at the wrong time.

The story could not have progressed at a better rate. There was NO point in the story where I thought the plot was too dragged out or too quick. I would also like to add that I LOVE the several perspectives. I squealed when I realized what was going on, and Finnerty continued to surprise me with her novel. Everything was perfect!


I now know that Finnerty is one of my all-time favourite authors. Thank you so much for writing this story!

I was gifted a copy of this sad yet happy novel through the Goodreads Giveaway .

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our blog posts! I will always try and get back to each and every single one of your comments! Please feel free to leave suggestions for new books to review, as well as comments on the individual reviews themselves. Again, thank you so much for stopping by!